A Traveller’s Tale
In the autumn of 1935, when I was a young man, I was traveling in the north-west of India. One evening, after hunting in the forest all day, I was returning alone to the place where I had put up my tent. It was getting dark, and I was walking along a narrow path. On my right was a wide river; on my left, a thick, dark forest. Suddenly I saw two green eyes looking at me from among the trees. A man-eating tiger was getting ready to jump on me.
What could I do? Should I jump into the river and hope to save my life by swimming? I looked to the right. In the river there was an immense crocodile waiting to welcome me with its mouth wide open.
I was so frightened that I shut my eyes. I heard branches moving as the tiger jumped. I opened my eyes. What do you think had happened? The tiger had jumped right over me and was now in the jaws of the crocodile. That’s a true story, believe it or not!
- north [nɔːθ] - north
- south [saʊθ] - south
- west [wɛst] - west
- east [iːst] - east
- north-west [ˌnɔːθwɛst] - north-west
- north-east - north-east
- south-west [ˌsaʊθwɛst] - south-west
- south-east [ˌsaʊθiːst] - south-east
- hunt [hʌnt] -
after hunting - after the hunt
- forest [fɒrɪst] - forest
- return [rɪtɜːn] - return
- alone [ələʊn] - one; alone
- put (put, put) up - put (tent), erect (building)
- tent - tent
- It's getting dark.
- It's getting dark. / It's getting dark.
- narrow [nærəʊ] - narrow
- wide [waɪd] -
a mouth wide open - wide open mouth
- path [pɑːθ] - path
- on my right - to my right
- on my left - to my left
- among [əmʌŋ] - among, between
- get (got, got) ready - get ready
- jump [dʒʌmp] - jump; jump
- should [ʃʋd] - should
- hope [həʊp] - hope; hope
- save [seɪv] - save
- immense [ɪmɛns] - a huge
- welcome [wɛlkəm] - greeting; cordial welcome; desired; to greet
- frighten [fraɪtn] - scaring
- frightened [fraɪtnd] - scared
- shut (shut, shut) [ʃʌt]
Shut up! - Shut up! Shut up! (rough).
He shut the door. He closed the door.
The box shut easily. - The drawer easily closed.
- branch [brɑːntʃ] - branch, branch (tree); industry
- happen [hæpən]
- happen, happen
What has happened? - What happened?
- jaw [dʒɔː] - jaw
- jaws - mouth, mouth
- believe [bɪliːv]
Believe it. "Believe it."
Believe it or not. - Believe it or not.
- true [truː] - true, true
- right here - right / right here
- right over me - right through me